Sexual Assaults, including date/acquaintance rape, are a very serious concern in Lawrence. If you feel you are the victim of a sexual assault, the Lawrence Police Department will do everything possible to investigate your case. While each case is unique and may require different investigative strategies, every Sexual Assault Victim has the right to expect certain things to happen. Some of those are:
- Every sexual assault case will be treated with the highest possible priority.
- The Lawrence Police Department will meet with you privately, at a place of your choice, within our jurisdictional boundaries to take a complaint report. If you are not sure if you wish to initiate a police investigation, a member of the police department will meet with you to discuss other options, such as an information report.
- Our officers will not prejudge you, and you will not be blamed for what occurred.
- If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request within our available resources.
- We will assist you in arranging for any hospital treatment or other medical needs.
- We will assist you in contacting an advocate from the GaDUGi Safe Center to offer you support and guidance.
- We will fully investigate your case, and will help you to achieve the best possible outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect. You will be kept up to date on the progress of the investigation.
- We will continue to be available to you to answer your questions, explain the processes involved, and any other concerns you may have.
If you believe you are the victim of a sexual assault we strongly encourage you to seek assistance. You may call the Lawrence Police Department, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by dialing 911 in an emergency, or 832-7509 if you are no longer in immediate danger. If you are not sure if you wish to call the police department, we encourage you to call the GaDuGi SafeCenter 24 hours a day, seven days a week, at 841-2345. You may also visit the GaDuGi SafeCenter web site or email GaDuGi SafeCenter at GaDuGisafecenter@sunflower.com.
If the Lawrence Police Department fails to meet your expectations in the investigation of your case, you may call the Detective Commander at 830-7431. The Detective Commander will meet with you personally to address your concerns.