School Zone Safety
A new school year is in session, and the Lawrence Police Department invites you to help make sure all of our kids travel to and from school safely, by following these rules:
- Be sure to obey all speed limits and traffic laws in school zones.
- Watch for kids walking or riding bicycles to and from schools on city streets and be sure to obey all directives from school crossing guards.
- When a school bus displays yellow flashing lights, slow your vehicle and prepare to stop.
- When a school bus displays a red stop sign, red flashing lights, and/or a guard rail, stop your vehicle. This applies to you if you are behind a school bus or in the opposite lane approaching the stopped bus.
- If you see any drivers breaking traffic laws in school zones, or you see anyone acting suspiciously around schools or children, call 911 immediately.
- Fines for speeding doubles in school zones.
- The minimum fine for violation of crossing guard directives or bus laws is $80 plus a $60 payment for court costs.
Please drive safely and help all of our school families have a safe and successful school year.